Since I was a kid, I was obsessed with Tudor England. I especially loved Henry VIII. Well, not him. He's actually the worst. But his wives -- Wow! They are fascinating! And his children! I named my daughter Elizabeth for many reasons, but it helped that I was already very interested in Elizabeth I. When discussing Tudor England, I am referring to any time basically from the Plantagenets and the War of the Roses to the conclusion of Elizabeth I's reign, but I mostly focus on Henry VIII's time ruling. I am also not a purist - I appreciate things that are historically accurate (it was such an interesting time, you don't have to change the details to get drama), but I also love things that are a little loosey-goosey with the accuracy. I've read many books about Tudor England, both fiction and nonfiction. Here are the ones I'd recommend (and steer you away from):
Nonfiction:
The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir
This is my favorite nonfiction about the six wives. It might not be for everyone, but to me, this was hard to put down.
Six Wives by David Starkey
Other Alison Weir Books - Nonfiction
They are all all good! Well, if you are into this time in history.
Fiction:Once again, Alison Weir is the queen (at least to me!).
Six Tudor Queens series:
Weir really brings these women to life. Because she is a historian first, they are historically accurate too!
Philippa Gregory's Plantagenet and Tudor Novels Series
These can be a little bit hit or miss. I especially enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl and The Taming of a Queen. I did not like The Other Queen, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Constant Princess, and The Kingmaker's Daughter as much. I still have not read The Boleyn Traitor (but it has excellent reviews!), The Virgin's Lover, or The Last Tudor, but I will. These are less based on historical accuracy (depending on the book), but are still interesting if you are like me. :)
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
Hilarious historical fantasy about Lady Jane Grey, the nine days queen. Not at all historically accurate, but joyful.
Not as engaging as some, but interesting enough and helped me learn a TON about Mary Queen of Scots!
The Last Boleyn by Karen Harper
Mary Boleyn is one of my favorite figures in the Tudor stories, maybe in part because she's one of the few who seems like they got an almost "happy ending." This is a good one about her.
Maybe not these:
Here are a few others I've read, but wouldn't recommend as much either because I didn't enjoy them or they just weren't that memorable:
Finally, here are a few I am still wanting to read:
Other Tudor experiences that are fun:
Watch The Tudors (show):
Check out some of these movies:
Also, I would LOVE to go to England and visit some places related to Tudor England:
Let me know if there are other books/movies/shows/places/things to do that I should add or check out!
No comments:
Post a Comment